Here are a few scientific facts related to the heart:
- The heart begins beating at four weeks after conception and does not stop until death.
- Every day, the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles. In a lifetime, that is equivalent to driving to the moon and back.
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can continue to beat even when separated from the body, as long as it has an adequate supply of oxygen.
- Grab a tennis ball and squeeze it tightly: that’s how hard the beating heart works to pump blood.
- Dr Andrew Armour, a neurologist from Montreal, Canada, discovered a small but complex network of neurons in the heart, which he has dubbed ‘the little brain in the heart’. These neurons seem to be capable of both short and long-term memory.
- The heart’s brain is composed of an elaborate network of neurons,
View original post 49 more words